This is a wonderful wintertime stew. A great centerpiece for a party or a large family get together. This will be the hit of any pot luck!
Prep time: 60 minutes
Cost per serving $4.33 view details
- 4 1/2 pounds stewing beef, preferably a combination of beef round and beef chuck, cut into large pieces.
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig of fresh parsley
- 1 celery rib, thickly sliced
- 3 imported bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup Cognac
- 1 Bottle sturdy red wine
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound fresh wild mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- One day before serving the stew, in a large nonreactive bowl, combine the meat with the carrots, onions, garlic, parsley, celery, bay leaves, thyme, Cognac, red wine and the 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Tie the peppercorns and cloves in a piece of cheesecloth; add to the bowl and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours, stirring once or twice.
- Let the meat and vegetables return to room temperature.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the marinade. Drain well; pat dry on paper towels. Set the vegetables aside.
- Transfer the liquid and the cheesecloth bag to a nonreactive large heatproof casserole.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 5 minutes to reduce slightly. Remove from heat.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter in the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil over high heat.
- When the foam subsides, add half of thee meat. Saute, tossing until browned all over, about 5 minutes.
- With the slotted spoon, transfer the meat to the liquid in the casserole. Repeat with the remaining meat.
- In the same skillet, saute the reserved vegetables until browned, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to the casserole. Add the mushrooms to the skillet. Saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes; set aside.
- Stir the tomato paste into the casserole.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Reduce the heat to very low and simmer, skimming occasionally, until the meat is very tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Stir in the salt and pepper to taste, the mushrooms, and the orange zest and juice.
- Discard the cheesecloth bag of cloves and peppercorns.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 303g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 406||67%|
|Total Fat 45.36g||57%|
|Saturated Fat 16.14g||65%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 9.22g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.0g||10%|