Cherries and dark chocolate are an irresistible flavor combination so I put them in an easy to make galette (ie, free-form cake/pie) that I baked on the grill but can also be baked in the oven.
- 1 pre-made pie crust (found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store)
- 1-2 cups ripe pitted cherries
- 1 sea salted dark chocolate bar, cut into pieces (I prefer Lindt Sea salted dark chocolate)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 pats (about 1 teaspoons or more) butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon juce
- lemon zest
- 1 egg- beat the egg to make an egg wash
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons bourbon barrel brown sugar (or regular brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon bourbon barrel vanilla (or regular vanilla)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. If you are baking on the grill, prepare to bake your galette on indirect heat (one burner off, one burner on) and get your grill to a temp of 350-400 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil. Spray the foil with non-stick spray.
- In a bowl, combine the cherries with the sugar and lemon juice. Mix and let sit for 5-10 minutes so the sugar/lemon juice macerate the cherries and bring out their juice. Lay out your pie crust on the baking sheet and put the cherry mixture on top, being careful to fold the edges of the pie crust over to form a free-form crust. Make sure that the cherry juice cannot escape. Add the pats of butter to the mixture, and now sprinkle the chocolate pieces evenly over the top. Brush the pie crust with the egg wash which will help to brown the edges.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges of the crust are golden brown and the cherries are bubbly. When you take the galette out, finish it with a shaving of lemon or orange zest (citrus and chocolate compliment each other).
- For the whipped creme, you will take the creme, brown sugar and vanilla and whip until it can form a very soft peak. Be careful not to overwhip or you will have to start over.
- Enjoy this decadent dessert that makes you look like a baking goddess- even though it is easy-peasy to make! I love recipes that make me look smart! Ha!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 197g|
|Recipe makes 3 servings|
|Calories from Fat 319||58%|
|Total Fat 35.82g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 17.02g||68%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 53.21g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||9%|