Cost per serving $0.98 view details
- 7 ounce good bittersweet chocolate minced
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter plus
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter cut in pcs
- 4 x Large eggs separated
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dsh salt
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- Â Â Grated zest of 3 large oranges
- 1/2 c. orange juice plus
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 x egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Grand Marnier
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch-square baking pan.
- Combine the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler set over, but not touching, simmering water and stir till melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and cold slightly.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and whisk into the chocolate mix. Whisk in the vanilla. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites with salt just till soft peaks form. Carefully fold into the chocolate mix. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake till set but not dry, 30 to 35 min. Cold slightly, then cut into squares.
- For the Bitter Orange Sauce:Combine the cream and orange zest in a small saucepan and heat just till bubbles form around the perimeter. Remove from the heat and let stand 30 min.
- Boil the orange juice till reduced to about 1 1/2 Tbsp. and starting to caramelize. Blend into the cream.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar till the sugar dissolves. Reheat the cream to scalding, then pour about one-fourth into the egg yolks, whisking continuously.
- Whisk the mix back into the saucepan with the cream. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, till the mix thickens sufficient to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 min. Stir in the liqueur. Serve hot or possibly chilled. (Makes 1 1/4 c.)
- Serve cake with the Bitter Orange Sauce drizzled over top.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
- Bitter Orange Sauce recipe adapted from "Desserts" by Nancy Silverton (Harper & Row, 1986). By Regina Schrambling.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 115g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 357||75%|
|Total Fat 41.12g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 25.0g||100%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 28.82g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.1g||14%|