Cost per serving $0.72 view details
- 16 fl ounce Espresso coffee
- 3 fl ounce Water
- 3 ounce Vegetable margarine
- 3 ounce Caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Golden brown syrup
- 7 ounce Plain unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 ounce Cocoa pwdr
- 3 Tbsp. Soya lowfat milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
- 3 ounce Plain cbocolate
- 1 ounce Vegetable margarine
- 9 ounce Icing sugar
- 8 ounce Frzn or possibly fresh raspberries
- 2 Tbsp. Caster sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line a 20cm/8in round cake tin.
- Put the coffee, water, margarine, sugar and syrup in a pan and heat stirring till the sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 min. Stir in the dry ingredients and beat well.
- Stir in the soya lowfat milk and vanilla essence. Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the pre-heated oven for 25 min till set. Slice in half and allow to cold on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, place the chocolate and margarine plus 45ml/3tbsp water in a dish or possibly pan. Set this over a saucepan of boiling water till melted.
- Stir well till amalgamated and sift in the icing sugar, beating the mix till smooth. Allow to cold slightly, then spread some onto one half of the cake and sandwich together with the other half. Spread the remaining icing all over the top and sides.
- For the topping, place the raspberries in a pan with the caster sugar and heat very gently till the sugar is melted and the raspberries are just beginning to dissolve.
- Allow to cold slightly and spoon over the centre of the cake only, leaving a surrounding area of cake uncovered. The cake is best eaten very fresh or possibly even slightly hot.
- NOTES : You do need to use a good quality dark chocolate for the icing, though it does not need to be as high in cocoa content as for other recipes. A sweeter chocolate works better because of the bicarbonate of soda that can otherwise leave a slightly salty aftertaste.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 118g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 78||31%|
|Total Fat 8.8g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1.68g||7%|
|Trans Fat 1.41g|
|Total Carbs 38.66g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|