Cost per serving $3.19 view details
- 2 lb Round steak*, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1 c. Liquid from pickled jalapenos
- 2 x Large eggs
- 2 c. All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- Â Â Vegetable shortening, preferably Crisco
- * Twice tenderized by the butcher
- Bob "Daddy-O" Wade - the Texas artist who made the famous dancing frogs for the roof of Carl's Corner Truck Stop on Interstate 35 - inspired this CFS marinated in jalapeno juice. Bob used to step lively around town till his wife Lisa tamed him and took him off to the mountains. These days Daddy-O's hankering for warm times is often satisfied by a chicken-fried steak.
- Cut the steak into four equal portions. Lb. the portions, if needed, till each is about 1/3 to 1/4 inch thick. Arrange the steaks in a shallow nonreactive dish, and pour 1 c. of the jalapeno liquid over them. Marinate the steaks in the jalapeno liquid for 2 hrs. Most of the liquid will be absorbed into the steaks. Drain and blot lightly to remove excess moisture from the surface.
- Mix an additional 2 Tbsp. jalapeno liquid with the egg in a shallow dish. Stir together the flour, salt and pepper in another dish. Dredge the steak in the flour, then dip it in the egg, and back in the flour.
- Put sufficient shortening into a cast iron skillet so which the steaks will be half-immersed in it during the frying. Hot the fat over medium heat. Add in carefully once, till the meat is fully cooked through and the crumb coating is brown and crisp, about 8 min total. Drain the steaks, and transfer them to a platter. Keep them hot while you prepare Cream Gravy from the drippings.
- Place the steaks on separate plates, add in Paris's Best French Fries and cover both generously with the gravy. Serve immediately.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 314g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 189||30%|
|Total Fat 21.06g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 7.94g||32%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 48.05g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.8g||6%|