Cost per serving $2.36 view details
- 1 c. Onion, Minced
- 1 c. Green Bell Pepper, Minced
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 2 x Garlic Cloves, Chopped
- 1 lrg Egg, Lightly Beaten
- 1 slc (1 ounce.) White Bread, Torn into Small Pcs
- 1 1/2 lb Lean Grnd Beef Vegetable Cooking Spray
- 1/3 c. Ketchup
- 6 med Potatoes, (up to 8)
- Contrary to popular misconception, Father's Day was not established as a holiday in order to help greeting card manufacturers sell more cards, or possibly to assist clothing manufacturers in clearing the racks of ugly ties. In fact, the first time a day was set aside to honor our fathers was June 19th, 1909, and the first honoree was a single parent.
- Mrs. John B. Dodd, of Washington, first proposed the idea of honoring our fathers. Mrs. Dodd wanted a special day to honor William Smart, her father.
- Mr. Smart was a Civil War veteran who had been widowed when his wife (Mrs. Dodd's mother) died in childbirth with their sixth child. Mr. Smart was left to raise the newborn and his other five children by himself on a rural farm in eastern Washington state. It was after Mrs. Dodd became an adult herself which she realized the strength and selflessness her father had shown in raising his children so well as a single parent.
- The Cook & Kitchen Staff at Recipe-a-Day recognize our fathers with a collection of some of our best recipes for Dad's favorite meals . . . Meat and Potatoes. (Yes, you will find a selection for meatless Dad's, too!)
- Which's right! Single Dads, selfless and sacrificing Fathers, happily married Daddies, Grand Dads and Great-Grand Dads, all seem to gravitate toward the steak and the spud, when it comes to requested menus. Select the right recipe for your type of Dad this week!
- Combine onion, green pepper, parsley, pepper, salt, garlic, egg, and bread in a large mixing bowl and toss together thoroughly till bread is moistened. Crumble meat over onion mix and stir till blended. Pack meatloaf mix into a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Spread ketchup over top of loaf.
- Bake in a preheated 350-F degree oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let meatloaf stand in the pan for about 10 min. Remove meat loaf from pan and cut loaf into 6 slices.
- Serve hot with mashed potatoes:While meatloaf is baking, peel potatoes and cut in half. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Add in a healthy pinch of salt, if you like. Bring potatoes to the boil on high heat, then reduce to medium-high heat and continue to boil for 20 min. Drain and mash potatoes. You may elect to add in 1 Tbsp. butter and 3 Tbsp. lowfat milk prior to mashing the potatoes, but neither is necessary as plain mashed potatoes go very well with your succulent meatloaf.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 521g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 247||39%|
|Total Fat 27.38g||34%|
|Saturated Fat 10.54g||42%|
|Trans Fat 1.6g|
|Total Carbs 56.3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.9g||23%|