Cost per serving $0.78 view details
- 2 c. white rice uncooked
- Â Â Jasmine and/or possibly regular rice
- 1 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 1/4 c. chopped onion
- 2 x cloves chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp. curry pwdr
- 1 Tbsp. chopped ginger root
- 1 tsp salt
- 3Â 1/2 c. water
- 1 lb broccoli cut
- Â Â into small florets stems diced
- 1 x red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 c. shredded coconut meat unsweetened
- 1Â 1/4 c. mango chutney vinaigrette
- 1. Wash rice till water runs clear. Drain well.
- 2. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add in the onions, garlic, curry pwdr, ginger root and rice. Saute/fry till the rice appears dry, about 4 min. Add in the salt and the 3-1/2 c. water, cover, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently till the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 15 min. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cold.
- 3. Meanwhile, blanch the broccoli in boiling water to cover for about 45 seconds. Plunge into cool water to stop the cooking; drain well.
- 4. In a large salad bowl, combine the cooled rice, broccoli, bell pepper and coconut. The salad can be held in the refrigerator for several hrs at this point.
- 5. Before serving, bring the salad to room temperature. Pour the (chilled)
- vinaigrette over it and toss well. Taste and adjust the seasonings before serving.
- VARIATION: Instead of coconut, add in nuts or possibly seeds or possibly bran buds; or possibly add in coarsely grated carrot or possibly radish. Vary the chutney dressing with a little tamari soy for more depth.
- NOTES : TITLE: Curried Rice and Broccoli Salad with Mango Chutney
- Vinaigrette: yellow rice, bright green broccoli and vivid red pepper. A sweet-sour dressing made with mango chutney and lemon.
- Good choice for a picnic, potlucks or possibly bag lunch.
- We had a variation of this salad-meal yesterday. Liked it! The recipe is one we can play with. A master recipe. I made it with Lundberg's Jubilee rice mix, caramelized turnip cubes and steamed Brussels spouts (instead of broccoli and coconut).
- Need to write it up and try it again. We tried Trader Joe's Brand of the chutney - sweet - we added extra lemon juice. [PatH]
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 413g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 47||11%|
|Total Fat 5.47g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1.6g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 82.57g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.5g||15%|