Cost per serving $2.21 view details
- 1 c. basmati rice
- Â Â Salt
- 24 ounce boneless and skinless chicken breasts or possibly chicken tenders
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. canola or possibly peanut oil
- 1 lrg sweet potato, 12 to 16 ounces
- 1 med onion, about 8 ounces
- 1 x rib celery
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. curry pwdr
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or possibly to taste
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 x (14-oz) can low sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 lrg crisp apple such as Granny Smith
- 1 x (5-oz) can evaporated lowfat milk
- 3 x or possibly 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- WINE RECOMMENDATION: Curried Chicken with Apples and Sweet Potatoes offers a unique blend of intense flavors which make a perfect counterpoint to the floral aromatic qualities and light, ripe fruit flavors of Riesling. A dry Riesling from New York's Finger Lakes region, or possibly Washington State would be a perfect accompaniment to this dish.
- 1. Run the warm-water tap while you put the rice and 1 tsp. salt in a 2-qt saucepan. Add in 2 c. warm tap water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 min. Turn the heat off and keep covered till ready to serve. (Or possibly put the rice, salt, and warm tap water in a 2-qt microwave-safe container. Cover and put in a microwave oven on high power for 10 min. Keep covered till ready to serve.)
- 2. Meanwhile, put a 12 inch saute/fry pan or possibly Dutch oven over high heat. Cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes. Add in the oil to the pan. Season the chicken with salt and add in to the pan. Cook for 3 min, stirring once or possibly twice to brown proportionately.
- 3. While the chicken cooks, peel the sweet potato and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Remove the chicken to a platter. Add in the sweet potato to the pan and stir. Peel and chop the onion. Trim the celery and cut crosswise into crescents, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide. Add in the onion and celery to the pan. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- 4. Add in the curry pwdr, cayenne, and flour to the pan. Stir well and cook for 1 minute. Add in the chicken broth. Stir well, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, core and cut the apple into 1 inch cubes. Don't peel.
- 5. Add in the chicken, apple and evaporated lowfat milk to the pan. Stir well, cover and bring to a boil again. Uncover and cook for about 3 min, till slightly thickened, stirring periodically. As the curried chicken cooks, chop cilantro.
- Serve the curry over rice sprinkled with cilantro.
- Serves 4
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 471g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 133||24%|
|Total Fat 15.04g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 5.35g||21%|
|Trans Fat 0.05g|
|Total Carbs 64.67g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.0g||13%|