Cost per serving $1.22 view details
- Ingredients for Filling:
- 1 pound lean boneless beef chuck, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 beef flavored bouillon cube
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- Ingredients for Parsley Pie Crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- Directions for Filling:
- 1. Pat beef dry with paper towels. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat; add beef and cook until browned on all sides. Stir in garlic and curry powder; cook 1 minute longer. With slotted spoon, transfer beef mixture to bowl. In same skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil; add carrots and onion and cook 10 minutes, or until browned.
- 2. Add beef, bouillon, salt, and 1-1/4 cups water; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes. In cup, mix cornstarch and 1/4 cup water; gradually add to skillet. Cook over high heat stirring, until mixture thickens; boil 1 minute. Stir in peas; remove from heat.
- 3. Prepare parsley Crust. In a large bowl, mix 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, and 1 teaspoon salt. With pastry blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut in 3/4 cup shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with fork after each addition, until dough just holds together. Divide dough in half; shape each into a ball.
- 4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll half of dough into round 1-1/2 inches larger all around than inverted 9-inch pie plate. Ease round into pie plate. Spoon filling into crust. Trim pastry edge, leaving 1-inch overhang.
- 5. Roll remaining dough into 10-inch round; cut into 1-2-inch wide strips. Place half of strip about 3/4 inch apart across pie; do not seal ends. Fold every other strip back halfway from center.
- 5. Place center cross strip on pie; replace folded part of strips. Fold back alternate strips; add second cross strip. Repeat to weave strips into lattice. Seal ends. Fold overhang under; make fluted edge. Bake on cookie sheet 35 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 174g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 276||57%|
|Total Fat 31.11g||39%|
|Saturated Fat 8.48g||34%|
|Trans Fat 6.47g|
|Total Carbs 33.29g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.7g||12%|