Mark Bittman always comes through and this recipe, which I've adapted from him, is no exception. The cupcakes are not too sweet (just the way I like them) and the chocolate ganache perfectly sets in the fridge. They are sure to put a smile on anyone's face.
- For the Cupcakes:
- 10 tablespoons (41 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1Â¼ cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1Â¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2Â½ teaspoons baking powder
- Â¼ teaspoon salt
- Â¾ cup milk (I used 1%)
- For the Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 cup cream
- 8 cups bittersweet or dark chocolate, chopped (I used 60% dark chocolate chips)
- For the Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350F. Line a mini or regular sized cupcake pan with cupcake tins or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cream the butter until smooth then gradually add the sugar until light in color and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time then add the vanilla extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; add to the egg mixture a little at a time, alternating with the milk. Stir just until smooth.
- Spoon the batter about three quarters of the way up the prepared cupcake tins. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean about 14 minutes for mini cupcakes and 26 minutes for regular size. Allow to cool then frost with chocolate ganache frosting.
- For the Chocolate Ganache: Put the cream in a pot and heat until itâs steaming (do not boil). Put the chocolate in a bowl, pour on the hot cream, and stir until the chocolate is melted and fully incorporated.
- Spoon onto cupcakes and allow to chill for at least 30 minutes to set the ganache.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2315g|
|Calories from Fat 6275||69%|
|Total Fat 739.81g||925%|
|Saturated Fat 452.69g||1811%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 775.0g||207%|
|Dietary Fiber 182.0g||607%|