This is a print preview of "Cumin Chicken" recipe.
Cumin Chicken Recipe
The combined flavors of cumin and oregano in this seasoning is just phenomenal with poultry. This recipe is adapted from Allen Susser's New World Cuisine. It is one of our favorites. Even as we have moved toward more of a vegetable-centric cuisine, this has remained a staple.
|Prep time: 10 minutes
|Cook time: 85 minutes
Wine and Drink Pairings:
California Zinfandel, Australian Shiraz
1 3-5lb chicken
2 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried oregano)
1 Tbsp fresh ground black pepper
1 Tbsp kosher salt
3 Tbsp white wine
2 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare chicken by cutting off the wing tips. In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients. Coat the chicken with the mixture inside and out. Push the chicken together so legs and wings are set back.
- Place the chicken breast side up in a shallow baking dish and set it in the center of the oven. Bake for 25 minutes, then lower temperature to 325 and cook for an additional 45 min to 1 hour (depending on size).
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before you cut it.
- Carve the chicken and serve with rice a side vegetable (artichoke, asparagus, green beans, etc.) You do not need a saucy or flavorful vegetable as the cumin flavor from the chicken will infuse everything!