No one will be able to resist these special sandwiches, which is fabulous served hot or cold. It's great for tailgating at the ballpark or in your living room, for busy weekends or a weeknight dinner.
A rump roast is a good choice for this recipe. It's lean, tough cut of beef and requires long cooking to tenderize. It also holds it shape once cooked so it will make nice thin slices for sandwiches. If you like shredded beef, replace the rump roast for a chuck, making sure to trim any excess fat.
- 3 Lb. Beef Rump Roast, Trimmed
- 1/2 Cup Onion, Diced
- 1 Cup Water
- 15 Oz. Can Undrained Italian Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. White Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder (Tip)
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- 5 Tbsp. Cold Water
- 8 Italian Sandwich Rolls
- 8 Slices Pepper Jack, Provolone or Muenster Cheese
- 1 Small Red Onion, Sliced Thin
- 2 Small Tomatoes, Sliced
- 1 Cup Sliced Pepperoncini
- Heat 2 - 3 tablespoons canola oil in a large skillet over high heat, add beef reduce heat to medium and sear all sides.
- Place seared beef, onion, water, diced tomato, vinegar, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and salt in a crock pot, cover and cook on low setting for 6 - 8 hours or on high setting for 4 - 6 hours.
- When the roast is tender, remove meat from crock, set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove sauce from crock, skim fat and puree until smooth; add to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and water, add to saucepan, whisk until incorporated and thick.
- Carve beef against the grain into thin slices, place back into crock pot set on low. Add enough of thickened sauce to moisten beef, reserve remaining for sandwiches.
- Serve beef with reserved sauce, cheese, onion, tomato, pepperoncini and rolls.
- Cook's Tip: You can use store bought chili powder or make your own blend. I attached a link for make your own blend.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 282g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 67||27%|
|Total Fat 7.49g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 2.26g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 38.94g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.9g||23%|