I know there are a gazillion different versions of Posole floating around out there..But this one has become my favorite.. Traditionally made with Pork..this version is made with Chicken... Easy, delicious & fills your kitchen with a comforting aroma! Great on a cold blustery day...Or anytime you need an easy meal you can throw in a crockpot.. I always double this recipe.
- 2 14-1/2-ounces cans golden hominy, drained..(when doubling recipe..you don't need to double hominy..unless you really LOVE hominy)
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chili peppers, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 14-1/2 ounce can tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1 32 ounce carton reduced-sodium chicken broth ( I use Pacific Foods Organic gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- sour cream (optional)
- Place hominy, chili peppers, onion, garlic, chicken, tomatoes, chicken broth, oregano, and cumin in a 3-1/2, 4-, or 5-quart crockpot or slow cooker. Cover and cook on low setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Stir in cilantro. Garnish each serving with sour cream, if desired.
- Can also be made in a large dutch oven or stock pot on your stovetop!
- I also brush a few gf corn tortilla's with olive oil..cut into strips & bake in the oven till crispy...Sprinkle on top of each serving of soup.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 246g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 10||10%|
|Total Fat 1.12g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.23g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 10.44g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||8%|