This dreamy tomato soup comes together really quickly. We’ve added some crumbled whole wheat bread to thicken it and spinach to make it even healthier. Serve as a first course soup or create a soup and sandwich meal! The skinny on one cup of our yummy soup is 144 calories, 5 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers POINTS
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 slices wheat bread, crust removed
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Â½ cups fresh spinach, stems removed
- Â¼ teaspoon Italian seasonings
- Â½ cup reduced-fat milk, as desired
- Â¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- !. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic and bay leaf. Cook onions until soft, about 3 minutes.
- 2. Add tomatoes and mash with a a potato masher or the back of a large spoon. Stir in broth.
- 3. Crumble in bread, Italian seasonings and pepper. Mix well. Bring up to almost a boil and then down to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 4. Stir in spinach and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- 5. Stir in Â½ cup milk and cook for 2-3 minutes until heated completely. Remove bay leaf.
- 6. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cheese on top of each serving.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 147g|
|Recipe makes 5 servings|
|Calories from Fat 82||49%|
|Total Fat 9.13g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 2.93g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 11.21g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|