Cost per recipe $12.69 view details
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 med onion minced
- 6 sprg fresh basil
- 4 lb ripe red tomatoes peeled, seeded, and minced
- 4 c. homemade or possibly low-salt canned chicken stock
- Â Â Salt and freshly grnd black pepper
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 c. loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- In a large soup pot, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, till softened, about 7 minutes. Tie the basil sprigs together with a piece of kitchen twine. Add in the basil, tomatoes, chicken stock, 1-1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the onions. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium low and let simmer till reduced by one-quarter, about 20 minutes. Let cold. Remove the basil sprigs.
- In a blender, purae the soup in batches till very smooth, at least 3 minutes. Strain the soup into a clean pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat; stir in the cream and balsamic vinegar. Taste and add in salt and pepper if needed. Just before serving, cut the basil leaves into very thin slices. Ladle the warm soup into bowls and garnish with the fresh basil.
- Yields about 8 c..
- NOTES : An infusion of basil lends this creamy tomato soup an irresistible Provenial perfume. Balsamic vinegar brings the flavors into focus.
- Sweet vine-ripened tomatoes are the key to flavor in this creamy soup. If your tomatoes are not at their peak of sweetness, add in 1/2 tsp. sugar to the soup.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2872g|
|Calories from Fat 643||52%|
|Total Fat 72.94g||91%|
|Saturated Fat 33.11g||132%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 113.48g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 21.8g||73%|