n the Southern Hemisphere we are in winter so soup is a good warmer in the evenings ,here are some soups I found while browsing on the I africa site
This creamy, rich and tasty tomato soup bursting with the flavours of oven-roasted tomatoes and red pepper ,for winter or summer, served warm, at room temperature or cold.
- 1 large ripe but firm red pepper, halved, seeded and cored
- The seeds of 6 cardamom pods (use a wooden chopping board and a flattened knife to gently crush the pods and remove the seeds)
- 1,5kg of mixed Cherry and Roma tomatoes
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 tin (115g) tomato paste
- Â½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 4 curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups of vegetable or chicken stock (I always make a cup or two extra, just in case the soup needs a bit of thinning out after the roasting and cooking process)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 tot of brandy
- In a roasting pan toss together the olive oil, tomatoes, red onion, red pepper, garlic and sugar.
- Place in an oven pre-heated to 200Â°C and roast until tomatoes and pepper begins to show little black burn marks.
- Scrape all the contents of the roasting pan out together and spoon into a saucepan.
- Add a cup of water, the brandy, the vegetable stock, curry leaves, cardamom seeds and tomato paste and simmer for about 30 minutes (you might have to add a little more stock as you go along).
- After 30 minutes remove cardamom seeds and curry leaves and blend in a food processor until smooth (some people prefer to push the tomato mixture through a sieve and they then remove the seeds and skins of the tomatoes â the choice is yours, but I prefer to leave it in for the extra flavour it gives).
- Add salt and black pepper to taste, plus the cream, and then simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Decorate the soup with fresh basil and serve with hot, crusty bread (I love a garlic or pesto-filled French loaf).
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 412g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 138||34%|
|Total Fat 15.68g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 7.81g||31%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 68.45g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.7g||22%|