Cost per serving $0.44 view details
- 3 1/4 c. Skim lowfat milk* Salt
- 3/4 c. Fine semolina or possibly yellow cornmeal
- 3 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1 tsp Finely chopped jalapeno pepper (see tip), (up to 2)
- 11 ounce Corn niblets, liquid removed Freshly grnd black pepper
- 2 ounce Extra-sharp white vermont cheddar, finely grated
- 2 ounce Monterey jack cheese, finely grated
- *(Or possibly half whole lowfat milk and half water)
- 1. Combine the skim lowfat milk (or possibly whole lowfat milk and water) and 3/4 tsp. salt in a heavy 3 1/2-qt saucepan and bring to a boil. Sprinkle in the semolina or possibly cornmeal very slowly, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to very low and simmer, covered, for 20 min, stirring often (a film will form on the bottom of the pan; don't be alarmed).
- 2. While the polenta is cooking, heat the butter over a low heat in a small skillet. Add in the jalapeno pepper and cook for 30 seconds. Add in the corn, season with salt and pepper, and just heat through. Set aside.
- 3. When the polenta is done, add in the corn mix and the cheeses and stir till just melted. Correct the seasoning and serve at once.
- To control the hotness which a jalapeno will impart, cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and white membranes. Taste a seed-if it is quite spicy, use only a few. Be sure to taste a tiny bit of the pepper itself. If it is very spicy, start by using only a tsp. of chopped pepper, then add in more to taste if desired.
- To Prepare: 10 Min To Cook: 25 Min
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 170g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 79||38%|
|Total Fat 8.95g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 5.55g||22%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 21.87g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|