This really is a simple mushroom dish, easy and that's good enough on its own, with bread, over pasta or as a sauce with meat.
It makes a super starter served with little rounds of French bread, gently fried or toasted with a little dab of olive oil and garlic.
This recipe found on iafrica
- 500gm thickly sliced mushrooms (the brown ones are tastiest, although they do tend to discolour the cream slightly so you can use white mushrooms you'd prefer)
- Â½ cup finely chopped shallots or onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup crÃ¨me fraiche (find it at most supermarkets)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Freshly ground coarse black salt and black pepper
- (Optional, you can add a small dash of brandy just before serving for a little extra flavour)
- In a saucepan melt the butter over medium heat and add the mushrooms, onions and garlic together for about five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream and mix well, then turn up the heat and bring to the boil uncovered until bubbles start forming and the liquid has reduced to a shiny sauce.
- Add the parsley, salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- For the garlic toasties
- Slice eight rounds of French loaf and fry in a pan in two tablespoons of olive oil until lightly browned on both sides, adding two cloves of finely chopped garlic to the frying bread. Alternatively you can lightly brush the bread with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic, and toast the slices in the oven until browned.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 223g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 130||39%|
|Total Fat 15.43g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 13.33g||53%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 47.26g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|