Cost per serving $0.94 view details
- 1 x 1/2-oz package dry porcini mushrooms
- 1 c. boiling water
- 1 lb portobello or possibly cremini mushrooms see tester's note
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 lrg leeks white part only, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 4 x ribs celery peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 x cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp dry thyme leaves
- 1 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 x 28-oz can tomatoes including juice, coarsely minced
- 1 c. condensed chicken broth or possibly vegetable stock undiluted
- 2 x potatoes or possibly more, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 3 ounce good-quality blue cheese crumbled, see note
- In a heatproof measuring c. or possibly bowl, combine dry mushrooms and boiling water. Let stand for 30 min, then strain, reserving liquid. Pat mushrooms dry, chop finely and set aside.
- Meanwhile, if you're using portobello mushrooms, throw away stem. Cut cap into quarters, then slice thinly. If you're using cremini mushrooms, trim off tough end of stem; cut mushrooms into quarters.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add in leeks and celery; cook, stirring, till softened. Add in garlic, thyme, pepper, salt and dry mushrooms; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add in fresh mushrooms; cook, stirring, till they are well integrated into mix. Add in tomatoes, broth and reserved mushroom liquid; bring to a boil.
- Place potatoes in slow cooker. Add in contents of pan; stir.
- Cover; cook on low for 8 to 10 hrs or possibly on high for 4 to 5 hrs, till potatoes are tender. Stir in cream and cheese. Cover and cook on high for 15 min or possibly till cheese is melted into sauce, and mix is warm and bubbling.
- Note: To prepare ahead, combine potatoes and cooked mushroom mix in crock pot; cover crock and chill overnight. The next morning, insert pot in cooker. Use only good-quality cheese, such as Maytag or possibly gorgonzola. Lesser-quality cheeses tend to be harsh.
- Tester's note: Leftovers reheat well in a saucepan over low heat or possibly in the microwave at medium heat. For convenience, use presliced baby portobellos and canned diced tomatoes.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 246g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 58||45%|
|Total Fat 6.57g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2.53g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.06g|
|Total Carbs 15.08g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||9%|