Cost per serving $2.56 view details
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 4 ounce button mushrooms sliced
- 1 c. sliced celery
- 1 c. shredded carrots - (abt 2 med)
- 1 med onion minced
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 c. chicken stock (or possibly canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1 1/2 c. half-and-half
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 lb chicken tenders cut 1/2" pcs
- 1 c. penne pasta
- 1/4 lb sugar snap peas halved diagonally
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- Heat butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add in mushrooms, celery, carrots and onion. Cook till celery and onion are tender, about 5 min. Add in flour and cook 3 min, stirring frequently.
- Gradually fold in chicken stock. Bring soup to simmer, stirring frequently. Add in half-and-half and minced parsley and simmer 5 min.
- Add in chicken tenders and simmer till cooked through, about 5 min. (Chicken soup can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cold slightly. Cover and chill.)
- Cook penne pasta in large pot of boiling salted water till just tender but still hard to bite. Drain pasta.
- Bring chicken soup to simmer. Fold in cooked pasta and sugar snap peas and simmer 2 min. Fold in lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- This recipe yields 12 first-course or possibly 6 main-course servings.
- Comments: "Dinner at J. Alexander"s in nearby Troy is a treat my family enjoys regularly, and there"s one thing we always order: the chicken soup. says Katie Randlett of Wixom, Michigan. "Although it sounds ordinary, this version definitely isn"t - it has a rich, creamy texture, and it"s full of goodies like pasta, sugar snap peas and carrots."
- Sugar snap peas add in crunch to this comforting soup. The restaurant uses penne pasta, but macaroni would also work well.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 530g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 281||45%|
|Total Fat 31.58g||39%|
|Saturated Fat 11.89g||48%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 58.22g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.1g||17%|