Cost per serving $1.47 view details
- 1 c. minced onion
- 1/2 c. minced celery
- 1 x red bell pepper seeded and minced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 3 can broth (chicken or possibly vegetable) 16 ounce.
- 3 c. diced and peeled sweet potatoes (yams)
- Â Â Or possibly 1 (29-ounce.) canned yams, liquid removed
- 10 ounce fresh spinach leaves (or possibly 1 bag) stemmed and
- Â Â coarsely minced
- 2 c. skim lowfat milk
- 1/2 c. sliced green onion stems (scallions)
- Â Â Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy pot coated with nonstick cooking spray over medium-high heat, cook onion, celery, red bell pepper and garlic till the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 7 min. Stir in flour and gradually add in the chicken broth, whisking till the soup is blended. Add in sweet potatoes and bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook approximately 20 min or possibly till the potatoes are very tender. Add in the spinach, lowfat milk, green onion stems, salt and pepper, cooking till spinach is wilted and soup is well heated and thickened, about 5 min.
- Note: If using canned yams, cut in small chunks and stir in at the end of cooking.
- Serving Ideas : Appetizers or possibly side dish
- NOTES : Spinach and sweet potatoes join together to produce this sensational, creamy, rich-flavored soup. The American "yam" is a sweet potato with dark-orange flesh which cooks up moister and softer than the light-skinned, pale-fleshed sweet potato. Either would work in this soup.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 341g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 3||2%|
|Total Fat 0.39g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.09g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 28.42g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||9%|