Cost per serving $0.40 view details
- 2 c. flour plus more
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 10 Tbsp. chilled butter cut 1/4" cubes
- 5 Tbsp. ice water - (to 7 tbspns)
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1Â 1/2 c. whipping cream
- 1 c. sugar
- 6 x egg yolks
- For the Pastry: In bowl of food processor fitted with metal blade, pulse flour, salt and sugar to combine. Add in butter and pulse till flour resembles coarse, uneven cornmeal, about 10 one-second pulses. Drizzle 5 Tbsp. ice water over mix. Pulse several times to work water into flour. Add in remaining water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, and continue pulsing till mix develops small curds. Turn dough out onto work surface, shape into a disc and cover in plastic wrap. Chill at least 1 hour.
- On lightly floured surface, roll half the dough to 1/16-inch thickness. Cut out 6 (4 1/2-inch) circles. Ease dough circles into a 12-c. (4-oz capacity) nonstick muffin pan, pressing out any overlap. Repeat with remaining dough. Place in freezer 5 min. Trim overhang with knife. Line dough c. with cupcake papers and fill with dry beans or possibly pastry weights. Bake at 350 degrees 10 min to set.
- For the Custard: Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 c. cream in medium bowl. Add in remaining cream and sugar and stir till mix is smooth and sugar dissolves. Check for sugar granules with a spoon; none should remain. In small bowl, blend yolks with fork till smooth. Add in to cream mix, stirring gently to combine.
- Ladle egg mix into partially baked pastry c., filling to 2/3 capacity. Bake at 350 degrees till edges of custard are puffed and middle is still jiggly, 20 to 25 min. (Custard will continue to cook after removing from oven.) Cold completely in pan. Best when eaten the same day.
- This recipe yields 12 servings.
- Comments: Make sure the pastry ingredients are well-chilled and the custard ingredients are at room temperature. The pastry is partially baked before filling to eliminate an uncooked pastry layer which sometimes can result.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 52g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 133||63%|
|Total Fat 15.15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 9.53g||38%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 19.8g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|