Cook glaze and cool to room temperature. Just before serving, remove torte from freezer, top with glaze and serve promptly.
An elegant dessert recipe that makes a showy finale to the holiday meal. It’s a make-ahead and freeze recipe, which will simplify matters on the day you’ll use it. When it’s time for dessert, remove from freezer, add the glaze and serve. A stand mixer works best to whip the filling if available: be sure bowl and beaters are clean and free of any fat, and that egg whites have no yolk residue, or the filling mixture will not whip to stiff peaks.
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 18 squares, or 1 sleeve of grahams)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, the 1/4 cup sugar, melted butter and pecans; press into bottom and 2 inches up the sides of an 8-inch spring-form pan. Chill.
- In a food processor bowl process cranberries a few good chops to make 1 1/2 cups.; place in a large mixer bowl and stir in the 1 cup sugar; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add egg whites, orange juice concentrate, vanilla and salt to cranberry-sugar mixture and beat on low speed until frothy. Then beat on high 10-12 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- In medium bowl beat whip cream until soft peaks form. Fold that into cranberry mixture until blended and pour into chilled crust. Cover and freeze overnight, or at least 8 hou
- In medium saucepan stir together the 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch; add 3/4 cup whole cranberries and 1/2 cup water. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook stirring 2 minutes more. Cool, but do not chill.
- TO SERVE:
- Remove sides of spring-form pan and place torte on serving plate. Spoon glaze over top. Cut and serve immediately. Re-freeze leftovers promptly (torte crust and filling become too soft under ordinary refrigeration.)
- YIELD: 12 servings.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 105g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 92||28%|
|Total Fat 10.48g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 4.26g||17%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 56.26g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||8%|