- 1 x Boned, oven-ready turkey about 3.5 kg
- 1 3/4 kg Boned chicken
- 1 lrg Onion finely minced
- 2 x Cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 stk celery - finely minced
- 125 gm Pistachio nuts or possibly minced mixed nuts
- 1 x Bramley apple - grated and tossed in Lemon rind and juice
- 1 x Orange, rind and juice
- 125 gm Ready to eat apricots - finely minced
- 4 Tbsp. Minced parsley
- 4 Tbsp. Minced sage
- 4 Tbsp. Minced thyme
- 125 gm Brown bread crumbs
- 2 x Large eggs, beaten
- 225 gm Good quality sausagemeat
- 6 slc Thickly cut ham Oil for cooking
- 125 gm Butter, unsalted Seasoning
- 8 Tbsp. Port
- 8 Tbsp. Cranberry jelly Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1 Heat some oil and half the butter in a frying pan. Add in the onion, garlic and celery and cook for about five min till softening.
- Season well. Turn the vegetables into a large bowl and cold.
- 2 Stir in the apple, orange rind and juice and lemon rind and juice followed by the herbs, breadcrumbs and apricots. Add in sufficient egg to bind the mix without making it wet. Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/Gas 4.
- 3 Lay the turkey and chicken out on boards skin-side down and side by side. Place a layer of ham onto the turkey flesh. Spread with a layer of stuffing.
- 4 Lift up the chicken and place over the stuffing layer - you'll need to press with your fingers to give a level finish to the stuffing layer. Place a layer of sausagemeat in the chicken, followed by a layer of stuffing. Finish with a layer of ham.
- 5 Be careful not to overfill the birds with stuffing. Pull the edges of the birds over the stuffing. Sew the edges of the turkey together with a trussing needle. Leave the festive bird to rest in a hot place for 30 min. Serve with cranberry glaze.
- Cranberry Glaze:1 Heat the cranberry jelly in a saucepan. Add in the port and rind and juice of the oranges. Bring to the boil and simmer till it becomes syrup. Spoon over the turkey just before serving.