Cost per serving $1.44 view details
- 1/2 x recipe basic pie dough see below
- 1Â 3/4 c. light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 5 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. grnd cinnamon
- 1 tsp grnd nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb granny smith apples peeled, cored, & cut in 1/4" slices
- 2 c. fresh cranberries rinsed & picked over
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 10 Tbsp. unsalted butter divided use
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 c. walnut pcs
- Â Â ice cream optional
- 2Â 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 c. very cool unsalted butter cut up or possibly solid vegetable shortening or possibly lard
- 4Â 1/2 Tbsp. ice water
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- 2. Prepare the Basic Pie Dough and line pie pan. Chill till ready to fill.
- 3. In a bowl combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and mix well. In another bowl combine the apples, cranberries, and lemon juice, and toss well. Pour the dry mix over the fruit. Heat 2 Tbsp. of the butter, pour it over all, and mix thoroughly.
- 4.Turn the mix into the pie shell and bake the pie till the fruit is tender, for about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and set the pie on a rack to cold.
- 5. In a large skillet oven medium heat, heat the remaining 8 Tbsp. butter with the granulated sugar. Cook, stirring, till the mix is bubbling and the consistency of a thick roux, for about 5 to 6 min. Stir in the cream, vanilla, and walnuts and cook, stirring constantly, for 4 min. Remove from the heat and cold for 20 min. Spoon the topping over the cooled pie and chill overnight.
- 6.To serve, cut the pie into wedges, and add in a scoop of ice cream, it you like.
- Makes one 9-inch tart
- Basic Pie Dough MAKES TWO 9" CRUSTS
- In a bowl combine the flour and salt. Add in the butter or possibly shortening and work it through with your hands till the mix resembles coarse crumbs.
- Using the tines of a fork, stir in the water 1 Tbsp. at a time and work it in with your hands just till you have a smooth ball of dough. (Do not overhandle the dough.) Wrap in plastic and chill for 20 min.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and place on a floured surface. If you're making 2 crusts, cut the dough in half and put the second half back in the refrigerator.
- For each crust, roll out the dough on a floured surface into a circle about 14 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick. Gently fold the circle of dough in half and then in half again so which you can lift it without tearing it, and unfold it into a 9-inch pie pan. Crimp the edges, or possibly healthy pinch in a decorative border. Fill and bake as directed in the recipe.
- Serving Ideas : Cranberry Apple Pie Emeril Lagasse serves up a cranberry app
- NOTES : Excellent pie for Thanksgiving and/or possibly Christmas.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 263g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 331||41%|
|Total Fat 37.82g||47%|
|Saturated Fat 21.37g||85%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 113.92g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.6g||15%|