Cost per serving $1.42 view details
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms cleaned, sliced thin (such as crimini, porcini, shiitake, or possibly common, use one kind or possibly a combination)
- 2 tsp chopped or possibly pressed garlic
- 4 tsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt - (about)
- 1/8 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper - (about)
- 6 lrg Large eggs
- 3 1/2 c. lowfat milk
- 1 lb loaf day-old crusty sourdough bread cut diagonally into 1/2"-thick slices, ends discarded
- 6 ounce shelled cooked crab bits of shell removed
- 1/3 c. minced green onions (white and pale green parts only)
- 2 c. shredded jack cheese - (abt 8 ounce)
- Pour extra virgin olive oil into a 12-inch frying pan or possibly 14-inch wok over medium-high heat; when warm, add in mushrooms and garlic and stir till mushrooms begin to brown and liquid has evaporated, 3 to 5 min. Add in vinegar and thyme; cook, stirring often, to blend flavors, 1 to 2 min longer. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl, whisk Large eggs, lowfat milk, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper to blend.
- Cover bottom of a 3-qt baking dish (such as 9- by 13-inch, at least 2 inches deep) with bread slices, trimming if necessary to fit in a single layer. Spread half the mushroom mix proportionately over bread; top with all the crab and half the green onions. Sprinkle proportionately with 1 c. cheese. Pour half the custard mix proportionately over cheese. Arrange another layer of bread on top (overlap slightly if you like; save any extra bread for other uses), followed by remaining mushroom mix, green onions, and 1 c. cheese. Spoon remaining custard mix proportionately over the top. Let strata stand at room temperature about 15 min, or possibly cover and chill.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree regular or possibly convection oven till center is set (cut to test) and top is well browned, 45 to 50 min. Cut into rectangles or possibly scoop out with a large spoon to serve.
- This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.
- Comments: To ensure sufficient bread slices, be careful not to cut thicker than 1/2 inch. If assembling strata through step 3 up to 1 day ahead, cover and chill; let chilled strata stand at room temperature for 15 min, then bake about 1 hour.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 211g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 123||60%|
|Total Fat 13.75g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 6.29g||25%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 7.29g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|