Cost per serving $1.37 view details
- 1 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 2 lb Split chicken breasts, with skin and bones
- 1 lb Chicken wings
- 2 x Spanish onions, coarsely minced
- 1 lrg Carrot, coarsely minced
- Â Â Small healthy pinch of saffron, finely crushed
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 c. Canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 sm Cinnamon sticks (about 3 inches long)
- 5 x Cilantro bottoms (bottom 2 inches, with roots attached), rinsed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 6 x Peppercorns
- 1Â 1/2 quart Water, or possibly as needed
- 9 Tbsp. Canned chick-peas
- 1/2 c. Peeled and diced acorn squash (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 x Carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick half moons
- 1 med Parsnip, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
- 1 sm Turnip, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 sm Zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch thick half-moons
- 3/4 c. Cooked couscous, chilled
- Â Â Cilantro leaves, as garnish
- 1. To make stock, heat butter in a heavy-bottomed 3-qt saucepan. Add in chicken breasts and wings and cook over medium heat till golden brown, about 8 min. Remove chicken and set aside. Remove all but 1 Tablespoons of fat from pan and add in onions, carrot, saffron, and turmeric. Cook over low heat till onions are soft and translucent/soft, about 25 min.
- 2. Add in tomatoes and cook for 5 min. Add in chicken and remaining stock ingredients. Bring to a simmer and cook, skimming often, for 1 1/2 hrs.
- Remove chicken; strain stock through a fine sieve into a clean pot. Reserve wings for another use. When breasts are cold sufficient to handle, throw away skin and pull meat off bones in medium shreds. Measure out 1 1/2 C; reserve remaining chicken for another use. Cover and chill.
- 3. Let stock cold slightly, then chill, covered, overnight, or possibly till fat congeals on top. Remove with a large spoon and return stock to stove.
- 4. To make soup, bring stock to a simmer, add in chick-peas and vegetables, and cook till tender, about 10 min, adding chicken meat and couscous a few min before serving. Garnish each serving with a few cilantro leaves.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 432g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 80||42%|
|Total Fat 8.9g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 3.12g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.08g|
|Total Carbs 17.63g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.1g||10%|