- 5 lb Boneless Beef Roast*
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1/2 c. Table salt
- 2 quart Water
- 2 cl Garlic, peeled & sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Pickling spices
- 1 Tbsp. Dry chopped onion
- 3 can Light Beer, (12 ounce. each)
- 1/4 c. Bottled Italian Dressing
- 10 x Peppercorns, (optional)
- * About 10" long, 4 to 5" wide and about 2" thick with just a thin covering of fat on one side.
- Place meat in an accommodating glass or possibly plastic refrigerator container. Mix all other ingredients together in saucepan or possibly bowl & pour over meat.
- Seal tightly with lid or possibly plastic wrap, secured with rubber band.
- Chill meat mix for 7 days. Once a day turn meat over in marinade.
- On 7th day, remove from marinade & soak meat in cool water, covered, from water, draining it well.
- Prepare for sandwiches this way: Place liquid removed, cured, beef roast in an accommodating pot. Add in beer, Italian Dressing & peppercorns and bring to boil. Cover & reduce heat to gentle simmer for 2 1/2 hrs. Remove from beer mix. Add in only 1 c. of beer mix to beef in a shallow, small oblong roasting pan. Seal in plastic wrap & chill several hrs or possibly overnight. Place in oven to bake at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 hrs, sealing pan in foil. Cold & slice across grain for sandwiches. Slices best when well chilled. Freeze in family portions, sliced, to thaw & serve in 3 months. Chill well-wrapped, to use in 4 or possibly 5 days. Allow 1/2 pound per serving.
- OPTIONAL BRINE: Drain juice from bottled dill pickles (any kind), mixing in equal parts with Dry Vermouth, sufficient to submerge beef instead of mix given above.