Make delicious Mexican corn tortillas by substituting the traditional Masa Harina with yellow cornmeal flour.
The tortillas will keep in the refrigerator for a few days, then begin to dry out( which you can then fry/bake and use as chips.) The tortillas can be reheated on a warm skillet/griddle, directly on the flame(gas stove) or in a microwave.
- 1 1/2 cups(170 grams) fine yellow corn flour
- 1 cup (110 grams) white wheat flour*
- 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) salt
- 2 TBSP. ( 30 ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (177 ml) warm water
- skillet /griddle
- rolling pin or tortilla press
- 2 small sandwich bag / or 2 waxed paper sheets
- the wheat flour helps in keeping the fine corn flour together and easier to work with*
- 1. In a bowl combine both flours and salt, until well combined. Next add a little of the water and the vegetable oil. Start kneading and combining the dough, gradually adding the rest of the water until the dough stops sticking to your hands. You may need to use either more flour or water to get the balance right. You want a smooth dough that isn't too dry.
- 2. Warm the skillet/griddle over medium heat. Separate the dough into small balls,golf ball sized, you should get about 10-12 balls. Take one ball and cover the rest with a kitchen towel, to keep them moist.
- If the balls start to dry out as you are rolling the others out, add a drop or two of water to re moisten.
- 3. Take either your 2 plastic bags or waxed paper and place a dough ball between them. If you have a tortilla press just push down to flatten, If you don't have a press and are using the rolling pin roll out the ball to a 1/8 inch.
- 4. Peel the tortilla away from the plastic/waxed paper and put on the hot skillet for 2 minutes on each side. You will see blisters start to form as it cooks. Repeat steps 2-4 until you have finished with all the dough. You can either stack the tortillas up to use right away, or let them cool down a bit and put in a sealed container or bag to store in the refrigerator and use later.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 41g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 26||24%|
|Total Fat 2.94g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.26g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.06g|
|Total Carbs 18.82g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1%|