Serves 12. Can be made 3 days in advance. Can freeze leftovers.
Cost per serving $1.92 view details
- 11 C. chicken stock, divided
- 1 1/4 C. wild rice
- 2 T. vegetable oil divided
- 2 T butter divided
- 3 ribs celery diced
- 4 med. sized potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 16 oz bag of frozen corn
- 2 t. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2/ t. dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 10 oz. cooked smoked sausage diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 T. all-purpose flour
- 1 C. milk
- 1/2 C. heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 4 C. of chicken stock to simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the rice, cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer until all liquid evaporates or the rice is tender, approx. 40 minutes.
- Heat 1 T. vegetable oil in a large stockpot.
- Add 1 T. of butter and when bubbly add the celery and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, squash and the rest of the chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, removing any scum that comes to the surface.
- Add the corn, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, bay leaf and black peppercorns and continue to cook for 10 minutes more or until potatoes and squash are tender.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook until lightly browned. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and keep warm while continuing.
- Return pan to the heat. Add the remaining butter and when bubbly add the onion and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the red pepper and saute until it begins to soften about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir until they are evenly coated. Slowly pour in the milk stirring to prevent lumps. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove the bay leaf from the potato mixture. Then in a food processor process half the potato mixture, half the onion mixture and half the sauteed sausage in small batches until finely pureed.
- Return the processed portions and the remaining sausage, potato mixture and onion mixture to the stockpot, along with 1 C. of the cooked rice.
- Add the whipping cream. Heat the soup but do not bring to a boil. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- To serve, garnish with remaining wild rice.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 405g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 116||40%|
|Total Fat 13.01g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 4.92g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0.1g|
|Total Carbs 34.45g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.5g||15%|