This is one of those things I have to keep my eye on when I put it on the menu. The staff loves it so much that I have to put signs up teling them to stop eating the poundcake. I always feed the staff but it woud get so bad that I was ending up making double the amount just to have enough for the customers. It really is a good poundcake.
This will yield 2 loaves of cake. Butter & flour your pans well. If you have parchment paper cut a piece to fit on the bottom, spray pan, put parchment in, spray again & flour.
It's important that the oven be OFF when you put the cakes in. Then turn it to 325 degrees. Bake for 45 min - 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 8 oz. room temp butter
- 3c. sugar
- 5 eggs + 2 yolks( make sure your eggs are room temp as well..this insures your batter won't curdle)
- 3c. all purpose flour( sift flour 3 times before measuring) this is very important!
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 sp. baking powder
- 2 Tbl. vanilla( if you have vanilla beans use 3/4 tsp vanilla & scrape 1 vanilla bean with your sugar)
- 1/2 c. sour cream(creme fraiche is better)
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- For lemon poundcake:
- 1c. buttermilk or 3/4 cup sour cream thinned with 1/4 cup milk
- zest of 4 lemon. Add zest to butter sugar mix. Top with lemon glaze. Take 2 cups of powdered sugar & add lemon juice until a thick but pourable consistency.
- Marbled poud cake:
- remove 1/2 of the batter and add 1/2 cup cocoa powder & 1 oz. unsweetened, melted chocolate. (I used sharffenberger brand for both). Pour 1/2 vanilla base into pans & plop spoonfuls of choc batter on top. Pour other half of vanilla batter on top. Add remaining choc batter. take a knife & swirl batter. Bake & cool.
- top with choc ganache. Melt 12oz.semisweet.Add 12 oz scalding cream. Whisk together. Let cool. Pour over poundcake. Use any remaining ganache for truffles!
- Cream butter & sugar until light & fluffy about 4-5 minutes. It will look almost white like a frosting.
- Add eggs one at a time. Scrape bowl down.
- Add yolks & beat until incorporated. Scrape bowl down.
- Combine your dry ingredients.
- Whisk together sour cream, vanilla & cream.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture.
- Add 1/2 the cream mixture. Mix & scrape down bowl.
- Continue alternating flour & cream, ending with flour.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Put into COLD oven. Turn oven on to 325 & bake 45min- 1 hour. Test with toothpick. It should come out clean & the center should spring back when pressed lightly.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1444g|
|Calories from Fat 459||11%|
|Total Fat 52.4g||66%|
|Saturated Fat 29.52g||118%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 906.05g||242%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.1g||34%|