Cost per recipe $8.68 view details
- 3 ounce Semisweet chocolate
- 1 x Plain pie crust, prebaked and cooled (9-inch)
- 3Â 1/2 c. Lowfat milk, (not skim)
- 1/2 c. Canned cream of coconut, such as Coco Lopez
- 1 x Vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 8 x Egg yolks
- 1Â 1/3 c. Sugar
- 1/2 c. Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. Cool unsalted butter, cut into pcs
- 3/8 c. Chilled heavy cream
- 3/4 c. Flaked or possibly shredded coconut
- Stir the chocolate till melted in the top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water. Brush the baked pie shell up to the rim with the melted chocolate. Set aside to cold and harden at room temperature or possibly, uncovered, in the refrigerator.
- Bring the lowfat milk, cream of coconut, and vanilla bean to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. Immediately turn off the heat and set aside to infuse for 15 min. Don't remove the vanilla bean.
- Meanwhile, whip the egg yolks and sugar together in mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or possibly using a hand mixer) till pale yellow and fluffy. With the mixer running at low speed, fold in the cornstarch, then gradually pour in the warm lowfat milk mix.
- Strain the mix back into the saucepan to smooth it. Whisking constantly, cook over medium high heat till thick and just boiling.
- When the mix thickens, the whisk will leave trail marks on the bottom of the pot and the mix will have a few large bubbles boiling up to the top. Pour the mix into a bowl and stir in the butter.
- Half-fill a large bowl with ice water. Rest the bowl containing the custard in the ice water and let cold, stirring frequently to cold the mix. When the custard is cold, whip the cream till stiff.
- Fold the whipped cream and coconut into the custard. Pour the mix into the chocolate-coated pie shell and smooth the top. Chill uncovered at least 24 hrs. Serve cool.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1751g|
|Calories from Fat 1609||39%|
|Total Fat 185.38g||232%|
|Saturated Fat 112.0g||448%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 594.84g||159%|
|Dietary Fiber 21.9g||73%|