Basic recipe for a southern favorite. Known as a pantry pie because farmers' wives always had flour, butter, sugar and eggs on hand, this recipe includes the tradtional variety, plus instructions on additives, such as chocolate.
- 9" pre-baked pie shell (see links)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tbs. cornmeal
- 1 tbs. AP flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbs. distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 beaten large eggs
- To this basic recipe, you can add any of the following:
- 3 1/2 tbs. cocoa
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 tsp. zest
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- 1/2 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare your pie dough, or use commercial. Poke some holes in the bottom and sides of the dough with the tines of a fork. Bake 10 minutes. Let cool before filling.
- In a bowl, add the sugar, then the next 7 ingredients.
- Using a whisk, incorporate the eggs, pour into the pie shell.*
- Bake 50-55 minutes, shielding pie edges with foil, if needed.
- Let cool before serving.
- Note: * If using a aluminum pan, weight may become a factor in lifting it and placing it in the oven. Place a baking sheet under the pie pan before you fill it.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 117g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 164||41%|
|Total Fat 18.82g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 9.97g||40%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 55.65g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|