Cost per serving $1.87 view details
- 4 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1 x Onion diced
- 1 x Carrot peeled and diced
- 1 x Celery rib washed and diced
- 4 x Husked ears of corn kernels removed
- 6 x Unpeeled baby red new potatoes washed and diced
- 1 quart Clam juice
- 1 c. Dry white wine
- 3Â 1/2 lb Littleneck clams, Manila clams,
- Â Â or possibly Cockles in the shell
- 1 x Italian Roma tomato core, seed, dice
- 1 x Red bell pepper core, seed, dice
- 1 x Jalapeno chile, stemmed seeded, if you like
- 1 bn Cilantro, leaves only minced
- Â Â Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp Freshly-grnd black pepper
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Heat the butter in a large stockpot over moderate heat. Saute/fry the onions for 10 min. Add in the carrots, celery, corn and potatoes and saute/fry 2 min longer. Pour in the clam juice. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 30 min Meanwhile, bring the white wine to a boil in a large saucepan and reduce by one-third. Add in the clams, cover and steam, shaking the pan occasionally, till the clams open up, 5 to 7 min. Remove and throw away any which don't open. Remove the cover an let the clams cold in the pot. When cold sufficient to handle, separate the meat from the shells, reserving the juice, and chop the clams. Set aside. Reserve the cooking liquid.
- Add in the tomato, red pepper and jalapeno to the soup pot and cook over low heat an additional 10 min. Strain the reserved cooking juices and clam juice through a fine kitchen towel or possibly coffee filter into the soup. Add in the minced clams and cook 10 more min. Stir in the cilantro, lime juice and pepper. Taste for salt, since the clams may be salty, and serve steaming warm.
- This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 461g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 73||21%|
|Total Fat 8.35g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 4.94g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 55.79g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.9g||16%|