Mr. LEMON joined the line dance with his circle of friends: Ms. CLEMENTINE, Chocolate, Coconut, Ginger and Almonds.
This aromatic, gluten-free cake, turned out to be an incredibly delicious success.
For a detailed post...refer here:
- . > (American / Metric measures) <
- . CITRUS with skin left on:
- . 4 regular Clementines (or 6 small)
- . 1 small lemon
- . DRY mix:
- . 2-3/4 cup (360g) ground almonds (with skin)
- . 1/4 cup (55g) candied ginger
- . 3/4 cup (135g) bittersweet (60-70%) chocolate
- . 1-1/2 cup (310g) granulated sugar
- . 1/2 cup (35g) unsweetened, shredded coconut
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) baking powder
- . 1/4 tsp (1ml) sea salt
- . WET mix:
- . 6 large eggs (separated)
- . 1 tbsp. (15ml) pure vanilla extract
- . Use a spring form cake pan to make a 9 inch (22-23cm) torte.
- . COOK CITRUS (a day ahead is best): After having carefully washed, scrubbed and rinsed the fruits...place them into a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil. After which, the heat has to be lowered to have them slowly simmer (low-medium setting) for 60 minutes. Make sure to put the lid onto the pot for the whole cooking duration. When the time is up, turn off the heat and keep the lid on for another 30 minutes. Afterwards, strain the cooked fruits and let them cool completely for about 2 hours. Set aside temporarily if making the cake the same day or refrigerate if making the cake the next day.
- . NEXT STEP (much later): Prepare the baking pan...Butter the spring form pan and line the bottom part with a cut-out circle from parchment paper. Set aside onto a (non-insulated) baking cookie sheet. Pre-heat the oven to 375F/190C/Gas 5. Position the rack in the center of the oven.
- . DRY mixture: If almonds were not pre-ground...do so in a powerful blender or food processor and pour into a large mixing bowl. Repeat the same with the candied ginger. The chocolate can be coarsely chopped last. To the same bowl, add the sugar, coconut, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- . WET mixture: In the same blender or food processor, place the citrus and its peel (making sure any seeds are extracted) along with the egg yolks and the vanilla extract. Process until smooth. . MEANWHILE, in a separate medium bowl...whip the egg whites until reasonable stiff peaks appear.
- . BATTER and the whipped EGG WHITES: Incorporate the wet mix into the dry mix and hand whisk until batter is combined. With a spatula, gently fold and blend the whipped egg whites into the batter until well combined. Do not over-mix. Pour the batter into the prepared spring form pan.
- . BAKE: For about 50 minutes if baking in a dark pan or 55 min. in a lighter pan. Close the oven and leave for another 10 minutes undisturbed. Note: At first, cracks may appear on the surface which will eventually sink back down without initial cracks. Remove the cake pan from the oven. Place on wire rack to completely cool (at least 3 hours). Before unclasping the cake pan, run a knife around the perimeter. Place a plate on the surface and flip it over. Now, unclasp the cake pan. Remove the bottom part with its paper liner. Place your chosen serving dish and flip it over once more to reveal the final result.
- . DECORATION (optional): Sift and spread the confectionary sugar over the cake with an optional decorative stencil. If your wondering where I got this template...it came from a 'BINGO' game set with cardboard chips snapped out of it.
- . SERVE and STORE: If you can imagine, this cake gets even better as every day passes. The intense flavours have enough time to blend with each other in order to give you a smooth morsel of this delicious torte every time. It keeps well at room temperature for 2-3 days. Refrigerate for up to 1 week, take out and serve at room temperature. Or, better yet, warm up the cake on very low heat in the oven as your home will get that wonderful aroma once again. This torte also freezes very well for up to 1 month. Package it in a parchment paper and then slip into an airtight freezer plastic bag. Serve and enjoy.
- . Happy baking and Claudia's flavourful wishes...at FOODESSA.com
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 0g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 0||0%|
|Total Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 0.0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|