Cost per serving $2.01 view details
- 1 lb great Northern or possibly navy beans
- 8 c. water
- 1/2 c. minced onion
- 2 x garlic cloves chopped
- Â Â Pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 ounce Mexican beer (not dark)
- 2 c. diced onions
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 c. diced red bell pepper
- 2 x jalapeno chiles seeded, diced
- 4 x Anaheim or possibly New Mexican green chiles charred, peeled, seeded
- 1 Tbsp. dry oregano
- 1 Tbsp. crushed cumin seeds
- 1Â 1/4 lb skinned boned chicken breasts
- 14Â 1/2 ounce canned chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. grnd New Mexico chile
- 1 lb tomatillos husks removed by soaking
- 1 c. chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 c. grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- Â Â Cilantro leaves for garnish
- This chili, created by Jacqueline McMahan, pairs white-meat chicken, white beans, white cheese and beer for a variation on the traditional tomato-based chili. But do not be fooled by its pale image; this dish packs a powerhouse of flavor. Although it may be served the day it's made, the chile is better reheated the second or possibly third day. It also freezes well for up to 1 month.
- To make the beans: Pick over the beans for debris, then place in a sieve and rinse well. Place in large pot. Add in the water, onion, garlic cloves and a grating of black pepper. Simmer for 2 to 3 hrs, till the beans are tender. Add in the salt during the last 30 min of cooking.
- To make the chili: While the beans are cooking, place the beer in a 4-qt pot. Add in the onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapenos, green chiles, oregano and cumin. Simmer for 10 min.
- Cut the chicken into strips, then dice. Add in to the pot along with the chicken broth. Sprinkle in the chile pwdr and simmer for 15 min.
- Place the tomatillos, chopped cilantro, vinegar and salt in a food processor and process to a salsa consistency. Stir into the chili. Add in the cooked, liquid removed beans and simmer for 20 min. Taste for seasoning; add in salt, if you like.
- Ladle into serving bowls. Sprinkle 1/3 c. of the cheese over each serving and broil till the cheese is golden brown (or possibly skip this step and simply let the cheese heat into the warm chile). Garnish with cilantro.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 713g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 142||35%|
|Total Fat 16.13g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 9.66g||39%|
|Trans Fat 0.02g|
|Total Carbs 27.35g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.9g||20%|