After having a yummy souffle on a cruise recently, I came back and started making them myself. This is the best I've found so far. A simple, delicious chocolate souffle. This is a dessert that everyone in your family is sure to enjoy. Try serving it with vanilla or coffee ice cream, or with whipped cream.
- 7 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, plus extra soft for the ramekins
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp warm water
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 Tbsp
- 8 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Brush six (6 oz) ramekins with soft butter and sprinkle with sugar to coat (about 2 Tbsp). Put the finished ramekins in the freezer. (This can be done up to 24 hours in advance.)
- Set an oven rack in lower third of the oven and preheat to 400 F.
- Put the chocolate and 4 Tbsp butter in a medium bowl for heating. Bring a saucepan filled with an inch or so of water to a low simmer; set the bowl over, but not touching, the water. Stir the chocolate occasionally until melted and the texture is smooth. Stir in vanilla extract and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Combine the warm water and egg yolks in the bowl of a standing mixer or large bowl and beat until frothy. Slowly add 2 tablespoons sugar, and continue beating about 5 minutes. Very slowly fold the yolks into the chocolate mixture.
- Remove prepared ramekins from freezer. Rinse the bowl well and add the egg whites and the lemon juice. Beat on medium until frothy; then slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and increase speed to high. Beat until the whites hold a stiff but moist peak.
- Working quickly, fold about a third of the egg whites into the chocolate to lighten; then fold in remaining whites. Gently spoon the souffle mixture into the ramekins, and place them on a baking sheet. Level off the surface of each ramekin with a straight edge.
- Immediately bake until the souffle rises about 1 1/2 inches from the ramekins, about 19 minutes. Remove from oven, dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 120g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 233||67%|
|Total Fat 27.31g||34%|
|Saturated Fat 16.38g||66%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 27.33g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||18%|