Cost per serving $1.13 view details
- 4 ounce Unsweetened chocolate
- 8 Tbsp. Unsalted butter, room temp
- 1Â 1/4 c. Plus 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 lrg Large eggs, room temp
- 3/4 c. All-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. Plus 2 Tbsp minced walnuts
- Â Â Frosting
- 1Â 1/2 ounce Unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 c. Evaporated lowfat milk
- 1/3 c. Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease an 8-inch square pan with butter or possibly vegetable oil. Heat the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water. Cold the mix for 5 min.
- Place the sugar in a medium-size mixing bowl and pour in the chocolate mix. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, mix till blended, about 25 seconds. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add in the vanilla. With the mixer on medium-low speed, add in the Large eggs one at a time, blending after each addition till the yolk is broken and dispersed, about 10 seconds. Scrape the bowl after the last egg and blend till velvety, about 15 more seconds.
- Add in the flour on low speed and mix for 20 seconds; finish the mixing by hand, being certain to fold in any flour at the bottom of the bowl.
- Stir in 1/2 c. of the nuts. Spread the batter proportionately in the prepared pan and sprinkle the remaining 2 Tbsp of nuts over the top.
- Bake the brownies on the center oven rack till a thin crust forms on top and a tester inserted in the center comes out with a moist crumb, about 35 min. (The center of the brownies should never quite rise to the height of the edges.)
- Remove pan from oven and place on a rack to cold for 1 hour.
- FROSTING: To prepare the frosting, heat the chocolate in the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water. Pour the evaporated lowfat milk into an electric blender and add in the sugar and the melted chocolate.
- Blend the frosting on medium-low speed till it thickens, about 50 seconds (the sound of the machine will change when this process occurs.)
- Using a frosting spatula, spread the frosting proportionately over the surface of the cooled brownies and allow them to sit for 1 hour before cutting.
- Makes 36 small brownies.
- No-Holds-Barred Baking Book by Judy Rosenberg.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 162g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 316||49%|
|Total Fat 36.73g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 19.83g||79%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 81.07g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.2g||17%|