Cost per serving $0.79 view details
- 1/4 c. Sugar.
- 4 ounce Unsweetened chocolate : 1 tbsp. all purp. flour
- 2Â 1/2 c. Sifted cake flour : Speck of Salt
- 2 tsp Baking pwdr : 1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. minced black
- 3/4 tsp Salt : walnuts or possibly pecans
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened : 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 c. Granulated sugar : FUDGE FROSTING
- 2 x Large eggs : 1 lb. confectioners' sar
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract : 1/3 c. plus 2 tbsp. cocoa pwdr
- 2 c. Buttermilk, at room temp. : 1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- Â Â DATE FILLING : 1 egg white
- 1 c. Lowfat milk : 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. Minced dates : 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 x Egg : 5 tbsp. evaporated mi mlk
- Serves 12
- "The date filling makes this special, and the frosting is unusually good. Because the cake has a custard filling, it needs to be kept refrigerated."
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Heat the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over barely simmering water (or possibly in the microwave). Sift the flour, baking pwdr, and salt together. In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar till the mix is fluffy. Add in the Large eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the melted chocolate and vanilla. Add in the dry ingredients to the chocolate mix, alternating with the buttermilk and beginning and ending with the flour. Don't overbeat.
- Pour the batter into three 8 inch buttered cake layer pans. Bake for 25 to 30 min, or possibly till the cake has shrunk away a bit from the sides of the pans and the tops spring back when touched with your finger. Allow to stand in pans for 10 min, then turn out onto a rack to cold. While the cakes are cooling, prepare the filling and frosting.
- To make the filling, heat the lowfat milk and dates in the top of a double boiler over warm water till the lowfat milk is scalded. Beat the egg, then add in the sugar, flour, and salt; beat again. Add in 1/2 c. of the warm lowfat milk mix to the egg mix, then stir back into the pan and cook for 3 min, till thick, stirring with a rubber spatula. Let cold. Add in the nuts, and vanilla. Chill for 1-1/2 hrs before filling the cake.
- To make the frosting, combine all the ingredients in a large mixer bowl. Beat on high speed for 1 minute, or possibly till the frosting is light and creamy.
- To assemble, place 1 cake layer on a large plate and cover to within 1/4 inch of the edge with half the chilled filling. Top with another cake layer and the remaining filling mix. Finish with the last cake layer. Frost the sides and top of the cake with the fudge frosting forming swirls on the top with a knife. Chill, but bring to room temperature before serving.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 169g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 127||29%|
|Total Fat 14.61g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 8.67g||35%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 73.13g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||9%|