The cake will stay moister than most cakes you’ve ever made and you will see it separate a bit from the pan when it is done. Make sure the cake is done on the inside of the bundt pan. Bundt pan should then lift off to reveal a layer of flan, topped with caramel sitting atop a very
rich, moist chocolate cake.
Although very tempting to do this, DO NOT try to serve this before chilled completely. It falls apart, doesn't set up, makes a big mess, ect. I know this by making that mistake!
I make my cake the day before and chill overnight. When taking it somewhere I leave it in the bundt pan until we are at the place then flip it over right before serving.
I brought this to an office gathering and it was a big hit! I've never had such a big response to a recipe.
- CAKE MIX
- 1 bx cake mix, devils food *
- 1 1/4 c coca-cola *
- 1/3 c vegetable oil
- 3 lg eggs
- FLAN MIXTURE
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 3 lg eggs (you can use up to 5 eggs)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract *
- CARAMEL SAUCE
- 1 1/2 c cajeta-mexican goat milk caramel or any kind of caramel sauce or topping
- use other flavor cake mixes, white, butter, butter pecan, chocolate fudge, spice cake
- use sprite for light color cakes, add coffee for mocha flavor in chocolate cakes
- try other flavorings, praline, coconut, amaretto, in the flan mixture.
- flan mixture- use up to 5 eggs for creamier flan, add cream cheese also for creamer flan
- 12 c bundt pan
- 9x13 or larger pan that bundt pan fits inside
- Cake Mix:
- Mix cake according to the directions on the back of the box.
- Combine Cake mix, coca-cola, oil and eggs, mix well.
- Do not use both water and coke.
- Flan Part:
- Combine evaporated milk, sweet condensed milk, eggs
- and vanilla, mix with mixer or in a blender. Mix for 2-3 min.mix well. Set aside. The more eggs the creamer the flan will be, you can also add cream cheese to make the flan even creamer.
- Set flan mixture aside.
- Caramel Sauce:
- Spray Bundt pan with Pam spray. Pour of 1 1/2 cups Cajeta or caramel into bottom of bundt pan.
- Assemble the cake:
- Spray 12 cup bundt pan with Pam spray
- Pour 1 1/2 cup Cajeta or caramel into bottom of bundt pan.
- Pour cake batter evenly on top of caramel that is in the bundt pan.
- Slowly pour flan mixture on top of cake batter. The flan mixture will sink to the bottom of the cake batter by itself. This will cause the cake batter to rise up in the bundt pan. Make sure it doesn't overflow.
- Prepare cake to bake:
- Get a pan large enough for the bundt pan to fit inside. I use a 9 x 13 inch cake pan. Fill the 9 x 13 inch pan with 2 inches of water. Place bundt pan in the pan with the water in it. Place both pans in the oven. Cover the bundt pan with foil for the first 35 minutes of baking. Cover with foil for the first 45 min. then remove foil to let the cake brown.
- Bake the cake:
- Preheat oven 400 degrees, Bake about 1 hour.
- Start checking cake after 45 minutes and check every 15 minutes until done. It is very important for cake to be completely done or flan will not set. Check cake with toothpick, also take a knife and gently pull the cake a little from the middle tube/center of cake and peak at cake. If gooey the cake is not done and put back in oven. Also, the cake will separate from the sides and middle of the pan when done. This seems to be the most difficult part about baking this cake. If cake is not done then the flan will be not set up. When done remove bundt pan from larger pan with water and set on cooling rack.
- Serving the cake:
- Although very tempting DO NOT serve before cooling cake! Cool cake on cooling rack at room temperature 1 hr place in
- refrigerator at least 2-3 hours before trying to serve. I make mine the night before and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 1-2 hours before serving, Take a large serving platter and put on top of bundt pan and flip cake over. Let set and the cake will come out of the bundt pan. This cake is layered with the cake on the bottom, topped with the flan and the caramel dripping down the sides of the cake. If transporting the cake to another location leave the cake in the bundt pan and flip it onto a platter when you get there..
- For different flavorings check out LorAnn Oils,at
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 192g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 252||43%|
|Total Fat 28.38g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 10.0g||40%|
|Trans Fat 0.23g|
|Total Carbs 67.39g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|