Cost per serving $1.62 view details
- 8 x Large eggs
- 1 c. sugar plus
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa pwdr
- 1 c. bleached flour
- 1 tsp baking pwdr
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa pwdr
- 1 stk butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 c. boiling water
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 8 ounce semi-sweet chocolate melted
- 3/4 c. simple syrup - (equal amounts of sugar and water, simmered until sugar dissolves)
- 3 ounce semi-sweet chocolate shaved into curls
- 10 scoop vanilla bean ice cream - (to 12 scoops)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- For the cake: Put the Large eggs and 1 c. of the sugar in a large mixing bowl and, with an electric mixer fitted with a wire whisk, beat on medium-high speed till the mix is pale yellow, thick and has tripled in volume, about 8 min. Sift the cocoa, flour and baking pwdr together in another large mixing bowl. Add in the egg mix and fold to mix thoroughly.
- Grease 2 (9- by 2-inch) round cake pans with the butter. Sprinkle each with a Tbsp. of the remaining sugar. Pour the cake batter proportionately into the pans and bake till the cake springs back when touched, about 25 min. Let cold for about 2 min. Using a thin knife, loosen the edges of the cakes and flip onto a wire rack. Let cold completely.
- Sift together the confectioners' sugar and cocoa pwdr into a medium-size bowl. Add in the butter and mix with an electric mixer till incorporated. Add in the vanilla and boiling water and mix till smooth. Let cold.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cream and the chocolate. On medium speed. Whip till stiff peaks form, set aside.
- To assemble the cake: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a wire rack over it. Using a serrated knife, cut each cake in half horizontally. Brush the tops of three of the layers with 1/4 c. of the simple syrup. Place the bottom layer on a 9-inch round of cardboard and set it on the wire rack. Spread 3/4 c. of the mousse proportionately on top of the cake. Top with a second layer of cake. Spread another 3/4 c. of the mousse over the top of the cake. Repeat the same process with the third layer. Top with the fourth layer. If necessary, shave off any uneven pcs of the cake with a serrated knife so which it is smooth and even on all sides. Refrigeratefor 2 hrs.
- Spread the frosting proportionately over the sides and top of the cake. Chill till the frosting sets. Place the chocolate curls on top of the cake. Slice and serve with the ice cream.
- This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 215g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 359||49%|
|Total Fat 41.54g||52%|
|Saturated Fat 24.6g||98%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 89.99g||24%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.2g||21%|