Since I only recently discovered Nutella, I am finding excuses to make things with it, so here's a cake mix recipe that contains Nutella, plus some chopped milk chocolate candy bars.
Am using buttercream frosting so there will be some contrast between the frosting and the decorations, but chocolate buttercream would work with white chocolate toppings. Get creative!
Note: Nutella makes a nice topping to drizzle on when heated in the microwave, but if you heat it in its jar, you cannot use the rest of it afterwards. It clumps up, so just heat what you need and leave the rest in the jar.
- 1 box devil's food or chocolate cake mix with pudding in the mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup chopped candy bars or chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick melted butter *
- buttercream frosting:
- 1 stick butter, room temp
- 3 1/2 - 3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3-4 tbs. half and half or milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- (* Okay to use margerine in the cake, but not the frosting.)
- optional: chopped, toasted pecans, heated Nutella for dizzling on cake, chocolate syrup, mini chocolate chips, chocolate sprinkles, shaved chocolate
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 9x13 or bundt pan. (With a chocolate cake, I use cocoa in place of flour.)
- Mix eggs in bowl, add water, oil, Nutella, then stir in cake mix.
- Hand mix or use mixer and beat until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate candy.
- Pour in pan, and bake for 35 minutes and begin checking for doneness.
- Cool completely.
- In a bowl, using a handmixer, beat together buttercream ingredients until smooth.
- Frost cake and decorate.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 148g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 225||41%|
|Total Fat 25.57g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 13.51g||54%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 80.56g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|