Cost per serving $1.08 view details
- 3 x vanilla, pods
- 200 ml lowfat milk
- 375 ml double cream
- 8 lrg egg, yolks, preferably, organic
- 2 1/2 ounce caster sugar
- 1 tsp cocoa pwdr, heaping
- 3 1/2 ounce good quality chocolate, bashed up, finely extra sugar, for caramelizing
- Run a knife along the length of the vanilla pods, scraping out the seeds, and then chop up the pods. Put the seeds and pods into a thick-bottomed pan with the lowfat milk and cream. Simmer slowly for 5 min for the flavour to infuse.
- In a bowl which will fit into the top of the pan, but not fall into the pan, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and cocoa pwdr for a minute. Still slowly whisking, add in the vanilla-flavored lowfat milk and cream and keep whisking till well mixed.
- Add in 1-inch (2.5 centimeters) of warm water to the dirty pan bring to a simmer and put the bowl on top of the pan. Cook the custard slowly over the simmering water for 5 min, stirring often till it coats the back of the spoon.
- Strain the custard through a fine sieve into a clean container. Throw away the vanilla pods.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Put 4 ovenproof serving dishes in a high-sided roasting tray. Divide the chocolate between them and shake flat. Carefully divide the custard mix between the dishes; making sure the chocolate isn't disturbed. Fill the tray with water till it is halfway up the sides of the dishes.
- Cook in the preheated oven for around 30 to 45 min till slightly wobbly in the middle. Allow to cold, then sprinkle with some sugar, and caramelize with a blowtorch.
- Propane Gas Torch Warning:Propane gas torches are highly flammable and should be kept away from heat or possibly flame, and shouldn't be exposed to prolonged sunlight. Propane gas torches should only be used in well-ventilated areas. When lighting a propane gas torch, place the torch on a flat, steady surface, facing away from you. Light the match or possibly lighter and then open the gas valve. Light the gas jet, and blow out the match. Always turn off the burner valve to "finger tight" when finished using the torch. Children should never use a propane gas torch without adult supervision.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 270g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 363||77%|
|Total Fat 41.68g||52%|
|Saturated Fat 22.84g||91%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 14.47g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||14%|