I found the chocolate cake recipe from a random magazine clipping but I modified the original recipe here and there to produce moist chocolate cake. The addition of coffee powder on the chocolate ganache mixture for the cake topping really brings stronger chocolate aroma out from it.
- For the cake:
- 150gr Cake flour
- 4tbsp Cocoa powder
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 1/2 tsp Cream of tar-tar
- 150gr Sugar
- 60ml Liquid milk
- 80ml Vegetable or Canola oil
- For the chocolate ganache:
- 40ml Thickened or heavy cream
- 100gr Dark cooking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1tsp Instant coffee powder
- To make the cake: Grease and line 7-inch round cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift flour and cocoa powder into a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine liquid milk and vegetable oil in a bowl. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites by using high-speed electric mixer until stiff. While beating, gradually add cream of tar-tar. Once the egg whites form soft peaks, set aside.
- In separate bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until pale and thick by using high-speed electric mixer.
- Turn the electric mixer to its slowest speed, alternately pour flour mixture and milk/oil mixture into the (egg yolk and sugar) batter. Do not over beat.
- Fold the egg whites into the chocolate cake batter by using rubber spatula.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake pan and bake the cake in a preheated oven (150 degree Celcius) for 30-45 minutes until done.
- Cool the cake pan for 5-10 minutes, release the cake from the pan, remove the parchment paper from the cake and let the cake cool completely.
- To make the chocolate ganache: Heat the heavy cream until it comes to boil. Remove the heat and immediately pour the cream onto the chopped cooking chocolate. Stir the mixture until completely mixed, smooth and glossy. Add the instant coffee powder into the chocolate mixture. Mix well. Allow the chocolate ganache to cool before glazing it onto the cake. See further tutorials on making this chocolate ganache here.
- Decorate the chocolate cake with chocolate ganache as desired.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 368g|
|Calories from Fat 285||40%|
|Total Fat 31.85g||40%|
|Saturated Fat 14.15g||57%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 76.46g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||9%|