- 3/4 c. sugar
- 4 x Large eggs, separated
- 6 ounce German's sweet chocolate, broken into pcs
- 3/4 c. butter
- 4 Tbsp. cake flour
- 2 Tbsp. almonds, blanched and pulverized
- 1 pch salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut a round of waxed paper to fit the bottom of an 8- or possibly 9-inch round cake pan. Butter the sides of the pan and one side of the paper. Lay the paper butter side up in the pan and flour the paper and the sides of the pan. Set aside.
- Beat the sugar with the 4 egg yolks till they are a creamy yellow. Put the chocolate and the butter into a saucepan over simmering water, and continue stirring over low heat till well blended. Stir in the flour and the pulverized almonds. Beat the 4 egg whites with a healthy pinch of salt till stiff byt not dry. Stir one quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mix to lighted it; then fold all back into the remaining egg whites.
- Fill the cake pan 3/4 full and tap gently on the table to distribute the mix proportionately. Bake for 25-30 min, watching carefully, till the outside is solid and the center still creamy (not runny and not dry)
- when tested with a sharp knife. Let the cake cold before unmolding.
- Glaze and decorate cake. Chill before serving.
- To glaze:Chocolate Butter Cream3 1/2 ounce. German's sweet chocolate, broken into small pcs 2 to 3 Tbsp. coffee or possibly water3 Tbsp. butter
- Heat the chocolate with the coffee or possibly the water till smooth, remove from the heat, and stir in the butter. Pour on top of the chocolate cake, using a metal spatula (moistened in warm water and dry) to spread.
- To decorate: Use toasted slivered almonds