Cost per recipe $10.20 view details
- 2 lrg Large eggs
- 2 lrg Egg whites
- 2 c. All-purpose flour
- 1 c. Unsweetened cocoa pwdr, preferably Dutch-process
- 2 tsp Baking pwdr
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 c. Buttermilk
- 1 c. Fruit puree fat replacement, previous recipe, or possibly store bought
- 1/3 c. Canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. Instant coffee granules
- 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 2Â 3/4 c. Granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Minced hazelnuts or possibly almonds
- 3 ounce Bittersweet or possibly semisweet chocolate, coarsely minced
- 3 Tbsp. 1 percent lowfat milk
- 2 x Ripe but hard medium pears, well washed
- 2 med Apples, well washed
- 3/4 c. Water
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. Lecithin granules
- FRUIT PUREE FAT REPLACEMENT: Cut fruit into eighths (don't core); place in a heavy medium saucepan. Add in water, lemon juice and lecithin and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring and mashing fruit occasionally, till mushy, 35 to 45 min. Let cold slightly.
- Press through a fine sieve (or possibly food mill fitted with a fine grate) into a bowl. (It will have an applesauce-like texture.) Let cold completely. The fruit puree will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or possibly in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Yield: 1 3/4 c.
- CAKE: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly oil a 12 c. Bundt pan or possibly coat it with nonstick spray.
- Place Large eggs and egg whites in a large mixing bowl and set bowl in a pan of warm water; stir occasionally to hot Large eggs. Meanwhile, sift flour, cocoa, baking pwdr, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside. In another medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, fruit puree, oil, coffee granules and vanilla. Set aside. Remove bowl of Large eggs from water. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed. Gradually add in sugar. Increase mixer speed to high and continue beating till mix is thick and pale, about 5 min.
- With a rubber spatula, alternately fold reserved dry ingredients and buttermilk mix into egg mix, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 additions of buttermilk mix.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 min, or possibly till top springs back when touched lightly and cake shrinks away slightly from sides of pan. Place on a wire rack to cold for 10 min. Loosen edges and invert cake onto rack. Cold completely.
- To make glaze:Spread hazelnuts in a shallow pan and bake in a 325 degree oven for 5 to 7 min, or possibly till fragrant. Let cold.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine chocolate and lowfat milk; heat over low heat, stirring, till glaze is smooth. Place cake on a serving plate. Carefully pour hot glaze over cake, letting it drip down the sides. Sprinkle with the nuts.
- Yield: 16 servings
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2040g|
|Calories from Fat 1326||27%|
|Total Fat 152.26g||190%|
|Saturated Fat 39.27g||157%|
|Trans Fat 0.29g|
|Total Carbs 875.75g||234%|
|Dietary Fiber 45.4g||151%|