This ethereal gluten free cake melts in your mouth. It tastes like sweet chocolate air.
It is dairy free, and great plain for every day. Or add a sauce or two for a spectacular treat. As my daughter says, “This is a thousand times better than store bought”. That’s if you can even find it.
Homemade and preservative free, it stays moist for days. Four days on the counter and it still tastes just baked. It gets eaten at our house, so we don’t really know how long it can go.
- 2/3 cup teff flour 95 gm
- 1/2 cup pure cocoa powder,
- not cocoa drink mix 40 gm
- 3/4 cup sugar 150 gm
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan 1 gm
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 4 gm
- 1-1/2 cup egg whites (11-12 egg whites) 360 ml
- 1 tablespoon very strong coffee 15 ml
- 1 tablespoon vinegar 15 ml
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar 3 gm
- 12 tablespoons sugar 150 gm
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the teff flour, cocoa, 3/4 cup sugar, and xanthan together three times into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Put the salt, egg whites, coffee, vinegar, and cream of tarter in a very large bowl. With an electric mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. The mixture will be foamy.
- Increase the speed to medium and beat until the mixture increases in volume about 5 times. And holds very soft peaks that flop over when you lift up the beaters.
- Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Beat to glossy, but not dry or stiff peaks.
- Very gently fold in the sifted flour mixture, about 2 tablespoons at a time. Stirring wildly will deflate the air you just mixed into the foam, and you want to keep all the air you can.
- After you think the flour is well mixed, fold about ten times more. I seem to always have unmixed streaks in the finished cake if I donât do this.
- Pour the batter into an ungreased tube pan. It has a column in the middle and a removable bottom. Do not use a nonstick tube pan. The batter needs some texture on the side of the pan to cling to.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Invert pan and cool at least 2 hours. The cake will set during this time and maintain itâs height. If the pan doesnât have âfeetâ, you can slip it upside down over a glass bottleneck. Even baked properly, cooling it right side up, the cake is going to shrink some.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 92g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 5||3%|
|Total Fat 0.58g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 41.22g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|