This chocolate, almond based ' Torta Caprese ' is an Italian dessert icon. The luscious flourless cake got re-vised to an ultimate delight. This tamed semi-sweet chocolate paradise has become one of my favourite indulgences. It's an absolutely gluten-free dessert and an added bonus for our tummies ;o)
For a dedicated post...refer here:
- . > (Metric / American measures) <
- . CHOCOLATE mix:
- . 200g (8 oz.) bittersweet (60-70%) chocolate
- . 125 ml (1 stick --1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- . 125 ml (1/2 cup) grape seed oil (canola is fine)
- . 15 ml (1 tbsp.) espresso coffee (optional)
- . 15 ml (1 tbsp.) pure vanilla extract
- . NUT mix:
- . 260g (2 cups) ground, raw Almonds with skin
- . 15 ml (1 tbsp.) baking powder
- . 1 finely zested Orange (optional)
- . EGG mix:
- . 5 xLarge eggs **
- . 220g (1 cup) granulated sugar
- . confectionerâs (icing) sugar for optional dusting
- . Pre-heat oven at 350F/180C/Gas4. Position rack in the center of the oven. Use a round sized 10x2 in.(26 x 5cm) shallow corning ware or similar cake pan.
- .CHOCOLATE melt: In a small-medium bowl, place the chopped chocolate along with the butter. Microwave on HIGH for 50 seconds. Take bowl out and let it rest for another 50 seconds before stirring the chocolate to a full smooth consistency. Add the oil and combine properly before adding the optional espresso liquid and the vanilla extract. Set aside.
- . NUT mix: If the almonds have not been pre-ground...do so right before making the batter. This yields a much fresher ground and ultimately produces the best results. Only crush the almonds so that at least 3/4 of the mix looks very finely grounded. Pour into a medium bowl and add to it the baking powder and the optional orange zest. Give it a quick whisk. Set aside.
- . EGG mix: In a large bowl, beat together both eggs and sugar until a creamy pale yellow colour appears.
- . ASSEMBLY: With a large spatula, gradually fold in the room tempered chocolate into this bowl. Pour the whole batter into the lightly oiled cake dish.
- . BAKE: Place into the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes. Shut the oven and leave for another 5 minutes before taking out the cake. Place the dish on a rack and wait at least 2 hours before serving. >>Note: If desired, dust or decorate with powdered sugar only when cake has properly cooled at room temperature. This cake can be kept out for up to 3 days or frozen whole or in quadrants for up to a month in tightly sealed plastic wrap and bag.
- . SERVE alone or with a dusting of icing sugar. Also welcomed would be a little whipped cream. A scrumptious accompanying ice-cream would certainly not take smiles away either. If you wish to step it up to another level, the addition of a rich chocolate 'Ganache' glaze could be draped as well for an extremely decadent dessert.
- . Happy baking and flavourful wishes...FOODESSA.com
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 0g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 0||0%|
|Total Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 0.0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|