When I found the inspiration for this recipe I knew there was something wrong with the directions. I ended up over-baking the graham cracker crust and had to start all over again. Since I had to do it over I changed the baking times and then added my own special touches to make it an altogether different treat. You could almost call it an Almond Roca Bar with Coconut!
From the wonderful comments I got at the church breakfast this morning, this recipe is a keeper!
- 3/4 cup blanched, chopped, and toasted almonds, divided
- 2 c. graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 2/3 cup toffee pieces
- 2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- To toast almonds: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Coarsely chop almonds and put into a 9 inch by 9 inch baking pan. Put in oven for 12 to 16 minutes. Be sure to check and stir almonds every 4 minutes to be sure they are lightly toasting, but not overly brown. They will burn quickly. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter and press into a 9 x13 pan.
- Bake for 7 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Combine the condensed milk, coconut, coconut flavoring and almond flavoring and spread mixture over the graham cracker crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle the top with the toffee pieces and 1/4 cup of the chopped almonds. Sprinkle chocolate chips over toffee bits and chopped nuts.
- Bake for 3 minutes. Remove from oven. Use a spatula to spread out the melted chocolate chips. You can use a dinner knife to patch any holes.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes. Put in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- Cut into small squares. This is very rich.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 43g|
|Recipe makes 40 servings|
|Calories from Fat 81||42%|
|Total Fat 9.1g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 5.29g||21%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 25.28g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|