Chilli chicken is a tasty and fun appetizer !
It can also be served with Roti or rice or eaten as per preference.
Its mostly served as an Indo-Chinese appetizer in most Indian Restaurants, however I prepared it according to my taste by adding some extra spice ;-)
I took this dish for a potluck at my office and everyone loved it!
Give it a try and you'll see what I'm talking about!!
- Boneless chicken - cubed and washed ( 1 - 1.5 pounds)
- Corn flour - 5 tsp
- All purpose flour - 5 tsp
- Ginger - 1/2inch ( finely chopped or grated)
- Garlic - 2-3 cloves ( chopped into small pieces)
- Onion - 1large ( Cut length wise)
- Green chilly - 2-3 ( Cut length wise)
- Cornflour paste - 1/4 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Red chilli powder - 1/2tsp (optional)
- Oil - To fry
- Soya sauce - 2tsp
- Green Capsicum - 1small ( Cut lengthwise)
- Food colouring - 1-2 drops orange/red ( optional)
- Tomato ketchup - 2-3 tsp (optional)
- Salt - to taste
- Prepare the cornflour paste by adding 2 tsp corn flour with 1/4 cup of water and mix well and keep aside.
- Marinate the chicken by mixing it with the Corn flour ,All purpose flour and salt, sprinkle little water while marinating so that the chicken pieces are coated well.
- Heat oil in pan for deep frying and fry the chicken until gloden brown and place it on a plate over some kitchen paper to drain off the excess oil.
- In a deep skillet add 1 tbsp oil, and saute the Ginger,Garlic and Green chillies .
- Now add the onion and saute until the onion is fried golden brown.
- Add the capsicum and saute just until the capsicum turns mildly soft, do no overcook.
- Now add 1/2 cup water and salt and let it boil for few minutes.
- (Make sure you add less salt as we have already marinated the chicken with some salt)
- Then add the soya sauce and let it cook for another 2 mins.
- Add the cornflour paste and cook for 2-3 mins until the sauce starts to thicken.
- You may add some red chilly powder for extra spice and some orange/red food colour (optional)
- I also added some tomato ketchup for some extra flavour. (optional)
- Finally add the fried chicken pieces and stir well until the chicken is well coated with the sauce.
- Serve with a slice of lemon on the plate. Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 306g|
|Recipe makes 5 servings|
|Calories from Fat 336||60%|
|Total Fat 37.31g||47%|
|Saturated Fat 10.66g||43%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 6.98g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|